These are 15 highlights from the Super Eagles press conference ahead of the clash against Zambia.
Super Eagles of Nigeria had their press conference ahead of their 2018 FIFA World Cupqualifier against Zambia.
Nigeria will host Zambia at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium on Saturday, October 7 and can seal qualification to the FIFA World Cup with a win.
Ahead of the crucial clash, Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr and his players led by captain John Mikel Obi came before the media.
Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Odion Ighalo were also present at the press conference.
These are the highlights from the media parley.
1. Gernot Rohr says Zambia are a different team from the one the Super Eagles beat last October away at Ndola.
“The Zambia team from last year is not the same, they have some young players coming in. it’s a different team,” Rohr said.
2. Rohr is waiting till his last training session before deciding his starting XI
3. History does not matter to Gernot Rohr.
“When we won in Zambia they told me Nigeria never won there, the statistic is one thing, the reality is something else.”
4. No injury concern, Elderson Echiéjilé is fit.
5. Ola Aina is ready for the physical challenges of playing in Africa.
6. Alex Iwobi is not bothered about if he will make the starting XI or not, he wants the best for the team.
7. Gernot Rohr is happy with the competition in the team.
8. These are the factors that determine Gernot Rohr starting XI selection; physical fitness outcome from the last game and the players’ performances for their clubs.
9. The players refuse to predict scoreline for the game, they just want to win.
10. Ikechukwu Ezenwa believes his success with the Super Eagles will open more doors for local-based players.
11. Super Eagles players not fazed by boastful Zambians.
12. Ezenwa welcomes competition from fit-again Daniel Akpeyi.
13. Iwobi is not pressured by the legacy of his uncle Austin Jay Jay Okocha. Wants to create his own.